Last night, Mister Mister and I struggled to come up with a theme for a baby girl’s nursery. Among such silly suggestions as “Western” and “’80s Valley Girl,” I kept coming up with Alice in Wonderland. Which, honestly, I’ve been coming up with for a few months now.
I love the vintage-style baby girl nurseries I’ve been stumbling on, and while Alice in Wonderland maybe isn’t the most sweet-dream-inducing story out there, it does offer a ton of vintage decor elements and fun ways to play around with a little bambina’s room.
The fun part about a nursery like this is all the additional DIY options you could come up with. For instance, you could scrounge up some Alice in Wonderland paper dolls and use some pretty ribbon and an embroidery hoop for a crib mobile. Or find a nice vintage copy (not too pricey) and frame the color illustration plates for artwork on the cheap. The elements above, like vintage bottles and keys, are easily sourced at flea markets and estate sales (I have quite a few bottles myself laying around from our vintage-modern wedding last year) and the pillows are easily DIY-able with some basic fabric, stuffing, and felt.
I love how whimsical this could be — you could go for more vibrant colors and play up the kookiness of the story, or stick with pastels. You could even do a black-and-red thing for some real pop.
What do you think of an Alice in Wonderland-themed room for a little girl?
Paint color: Benjamin Moore Minty Green (2042-70)
Clockwise from top left:
1. Alice in Wonderland illustrated ABC print, Etsy, $4.01
2. Lewis Carroll quote print, Etsy, $15
3. White Rabbit art print, Etsy, $20
4. Vintage Alice in Wonderland wooden blocks, Etsy, $55
5. Ung Drill mirror, IKEA, $39.99
6. Buckingham glider, Little Castle
7. Gulliver crib, IKEA, $129
8. Handmade Alexa modern damask wool rug, Overstock, $208.99
9. Teapot lamp, Etsy, $85
10. Framed skeleton keys, Bella Home Fashions, $29.90
11. Alice and Rabbit in Wonderland pillow covers set, Etsy, $53
12. White rabbit plush toy, Toys R Us, $21.99
13. French Provincial Dresser, eBay
14. “Alice in Wonderland” and “Through the Looking Glass” books, image by Khali Nouveau
15. Apothecary bottles, Etsy, $32 (set of 7)
16. Pocket-watch-style wall clock, Amazon, $82.99