I’ve always liked nontraditional table numbers with 3-D elements. Two early pictures in my inspiration files clearly illustrate my tastes on this point.
But no matter what else I found, I kept coming back to that second one. I already had about five picture frames due to my obsessive purchasing from thrift stores and garage sales over the years, and after shopping around for different fabrics and papers, I decided I wanted to go solid, rather than patterned, on the insert.
(Note: I didn’t take photos while making the first five table numbers, so consider this somewhat of a demo photo series.)
I gathered my supplies:
- Hot pink spray paint
- Thrift store picture frames, same relative size, all with some dimensional interest
- Liquid Nails adhesive
- Scrapbook paper
- Wooden numbers (the example above had already been spray painted a matte white, but they come unfinished)
- Taking the inserts and glass out of the frames, I sprayed them with 3 to 4 coats of spray paint in one of our two main colors – hot pink (or, if you’re into catalog colors, “watermelon fuschia infusion”). It took about 3 to 4 days to do this in the Florida humidity, as I wanted to make sure each coat fully dried between applications. If it doesn’t, it can bubble and peel. Gross.
- Lightly sanding the edges of the bare wooden numbers, I also sprayed those with about 3-4 coats of white satin spray paint. Please sand — I didn’t on my first batch, and the results were less than smooth. Nobody but me will notice, but I’m sooooorta a perfectionist. So if you are too, sand, sand, sand.
- Taking the “stand” insert of each frame (the part that slides in that has the standup piece on the back of it, if you want the technical term), I traced around it on the scrapbook paper, cut that piece out, and glued it onto standy part with Liquid Nails, smoothing to get the bubbles out. About Liquid Nails: I friggin’ swear by this stuff — I once used it to hold a 4×4 piece of granite to foamcore board for over a year, and it stayed there until I dropped it on cement.
- I slid the insert into the frame — some of them were tight enough as is, but if there had been a lot of cardboard “filler” in a frame and the insert alone was too loose, I used a little bit of Liquid Nails between the frame and the paper to keep the stand in there. If there was any glue overflow, I just cleaned it up with a toothpick. Something similar would do just fine – an orange stick, a bent piece of paper, yadda yadda.
- Then I centered and glued down the number with Liquid Nails.
- Leave to dry, admire your handiwork.